Lead Data Scientist
Who are we?
You know those annoying marketing messages you get every day. Well they're only going to get worse unless someone does something about it. Ometria's purpose is to help retailers create marketing experiences their customers will love.
We use data to truly understand each customer, and make sure that their experiences are ones they truly find valuable. We do this right now for 200 of the fastest growing retail brands, from Made.com to Hotel Chocolat, and for 200 million individual people across the world. We have access to billions of events that we can leverage to deliver the most relevant, personalised experiences, which in turn drive value for our clients. We have (rather empty) offices based in London, New York and Southampton, and have raised over £25m from leading VCs like Octopus and Summit.
We are now looking for a Lead Data Scientist to contribute to the creation and evolution of innovative, data-driven user experiences on our platform: they will delight our clients by increasing their revenues through predictive algorithms and removing friction in their processes thanks to automation. You will be embedded in one of our product squads, working closely with product managers, product designers and engineers, and you will be reporting to our VP of Data Science.
In the first 3 months, you will be focused on taking over the development of our Success Model, the predictive statistical model at the heart of Ometria: it enables us to automatically prioritise marketing initiatives for our clients based on per-customer behaviour, their lifetime value, and how different campaigns might impact them. At this stage you will also have time to become acquainted with our datasets, processes, strategy and most importantly our people.
Over the course of the year, you will get increasingly involved in a number of initiatives around current and new AI-powered product features, ranging from automatic customer clustering, to natural language generation, to product recommendations, per-customer predictions, etc. You will contribute to their prioritisation, and be in charge of the analytics and algorithms that will power them.
Over time, you will increasingly contribute to shaping the data and AI strategy for Ometria, and how this translates into new products and processes.
Outcomes you’ll own:
- Develop, evaluate, and improve the algorithms of our Success Model which outputs a compelling, explainable campaign prioritisation strategy which ultimately leads to measurable increase in revenues for our clients.
- Improve our Co-Marketer algorithms or develop new ones which drive clear client value through either increased revenues, or improved user experience and efficiency.
- As one of the people with the most in-depth understanding of our large and complex datasets, proactively identify meaningful data patterns for the business, in order to spot patterns, opportunities, anomalies or business risks to feed into our product, marketing and engineering strategy
What you’ll be doing:
- Work with the product and engineering leadership to determine and evolve the data and AI strategy for Ometria, and to translate that into a set of actionable, high-impact priorities.
- Work with product managers, designers and company leadership to determine the most effective and pragmatic approaches to data-first product features, and support the definition of scope and timelines for the relevant projects.
- When contributing to product prioritization or product design, determine what is feasible and reasonable, or not, from an algorithmic perspective, and assess level of effort, dependencies, risks, etc.
- For all the product features you’re involved in, you will provide clear metrics and tests to ensure that the deployed code performs in line with your algorithm design expectations, to offer a consistent, reliable experience to our clients.
- For each prioritised opportunity, work alongside the rest of the data science team to power it: use techniques from statistics and AI to build algorithms that deliver on the client promises in an effective way within the timelines defined by the business.
- Work with the engineering team to design the best approach to bring your data solutions to the Ometria platform.
- Ensure data integrity and quality, and provide recommendations to address any potential issue.
- Support the platform engineering team to determine the most effective data infrastructure to both deliver on our strategy, and to solve day-to-day data challenges.
- Continuously validate our data solutions with the broader team.
- Take into account clients’ feedback coming from our product and customer success teams in evolving the products.
- Contribute to creating and cultivating a data-centric culture within Ometria.
- You have worked for 5+ years as a data scientist, preferably in a digital-native, fast-growing organization.
- You have demonstrable experience of working within product teams to bring a data-first product opportunity from idea to a production-ready solution.
- You can go from a client problem to an elegant, effective data-powered solution with minimal support or guidance; you will often identify opportunities and champion them within your team and the company.
- You have a keen commercial interest in understanding not just what a feature should do and how, but most importantly why, so that you can more meaningfully contribute to their design and development.
- You can interact effectively with a variety of stakeholders, regardless of how data-savvy they are: data scientists, product managers, designers, company leaders, engineers, customer success managers, and client representatives.
- You will be able to communicate cogently complex concepts to highlight why they are important to your audience, and what their implications are.
- You have coding experience in SQL and python; you will also be familiar with more standard analytics solutions such as MS Excel or Tableau.
- You will be very familiar with core machine learning algorithms and key concepts in mathematics and statistics, and will be comfortable exploring and learning new ones as needed.
- You will have experience in bringing experimental data solutions to production, and the related technologies.
The amazing people of Ometria are the core of our business. We believe in making it awesome to be here for all Ometrians and place a continued focus on making Ometria an inclusive, respectful and diverse environment.
We're an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.