We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join our growing engineering team and help us build out scalable, reliable and performant solutions in our SaaS platform.
Who are we?
Ometria's purpose is to help retailers create marketing experiences their customers will love.
We use data to truly understand each customer, and make sure that their experiences are ones they truly find valuable. We do this right now for over 200 of the fastest growing retail brands, from Made.com to Hotel Chocolat, and for 200 million individual people across the world. We have offices based in London, New York and Southampton, and have raised over £25m from leading VCs like Octopus and Summit.
What sets us apart?
We don’t stop at ‘valuable consumer experiences’: we take it up a notch. Using artificial intelligence and machine learning – focussed through a truly tailored customer experience – our product ensures that our retail clients are reaching the right customers; at the right time, in the right way and with the right message. This enables seamless customer delight, giving our clients the tools to pivot and react toward what’s working without having to lift a finger.
Reporting to the VP Engineering, you will partner with Product Managers, Product Designers, Engineers and other Engineering Managers to ensure we are solving the right problems in the right way for our customers.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading a Team - Drive the operational excellence in your team of 5-7 Engineers. You will align everyone to the team's goal. Facilitate the team’s discussions with Product translating client problems into viable solutions. You’ll own the hiring and onboarding of new Engineers in your team. You will also support the hiring of Engineers across other teams. You will be the direct manager of the Engineers in your team, holding regular 1:1s and guiding individual development.
- Working with Stakeholders - You will work with other Engineering Managers, Product Managers and peers in other departments. Solving problems in a way that drives the company goal.
- Technical Leadership - Recent experience of technical contribution is key. Facilitating the team in technical discussions and ensuring optimal solutions are chosen. Work with an eye on the Product & Technical Strategy promoting short iterations on stable foundations.
- Technical Experience - A deep understanding of software engineering, solving problems in large distributed systems with the need for high throughput and low latency. Coaching and mentoring your team to improve technically.
- Operational Excellence - Our customers business operates 24x7, so does the Ometria platform. Operational Excellence is at the core of your day to day work by ensuring quality of our services, seamless 24x7 operations with a deep understanding of key platform KPIs
Our clients interact with the Ometria platform through a single page web app, which uses both React and Ampersand.
The app communicates with the backend platform through various APIs written in Python 3. Although Golang powers some of our massively concurrent workloads, most of the platform is written in Python.
We run on AWS/Docker/Kubernetes configured with Terraform. Postgres, Redshift and S3 build our multi TB data backbone, while individual services are connected via asynchronous messaging protocols mainly using Kafka & SQS. With the growing need of our customers we are looking at other big data technologies like EMR and Spark.
How We Work:
We believe in modern software engineering principles, including DevOps and SRE practices, little ‘a’ Agile (including Kanban and friends), delighting our users and investing in the growth of our team.
We continue to grow with a Product & Engineering team of 40. We have varied backgrounds in terms of experience, roles and responsibilities. We in Engineering work closely with our product team on new features, growth, and client-specific work.
- You have 5 years of hands-on experience in relevant technologies, and 3+ years of experience leading teams.
- You are very technically literate with demonstrable problem solving skills
- You have high emotional intelligence and are able to build trust quickly with your team, peers and stakeholders
- You seek to understand as well as advocate ideas based on your experience and knowledge
- You can work with stakeholders outside of the Engineering team